Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Unashamed Plagiarism

Bruce D wrote the following on Eddies blog. I just wanted to preserve it as I agree with it so much.

Sometimes, I think the whole "God's wrath aimed at the cross" thing is God satisfying a need (or expectation) in us, not in himself. No matter what the truth was, he knew that we thought we deserved to die for our inability to measure up (again, our perception, not his). So, he gave us what we wanted, his wrath. But instead of directing it at us, he directed it on himself. Still it satisfied the need we had for "something" to be done to "somebody".

It's like he said, "ok, I'll play your game, You all are so convinced that I should be angry at you, and should judge you and sentence you... I'll give you what you want. You will see my wrath. BANG!!! There... see it? Now get over yourselves, and understand that I am not angry at you! I love you so much that I am willing to give you what you want... only aim it at myself. Do you understand yet?"

From Mollifying ill-willed gods

3 comments:

bruced said...

It's funny... usually, when I throw something like that out there, I need to be ready to duck the onslaught of stones!

Glad to know you, DM!

Curious Servant said...

I like this.

Here's another thought:

It appears that all human societies went through a period of human sacrifice, where we offer up the biggest thing we can fdind, human blood (I sometimes wonder if that isn't hidden in the Cain and Able story).

Through the tribe of Israel we learned to transfer that blood lust, that form of sacrifice, to something else. Human sacrifice was no longer permitted by His people.

Then, when we had walked that path of sacrifice long enough, he had us do a one time, all holds barred, ultimate sacrifice, we sacrificed God incarnate.

We practiced deicide.

After that, to ignore our complicite part in that ultimate act is to reject the ultimate love He has for us. It is too big a sacrifice to ignore, to accept, to honor.

DangerMouse said...

Curious welcome.. sorry for the delay in response.. and I'm not sure you'll be reading this anyway..

thx for your thoughts.. looking forward to more..

accpetance

DM