Wednesday, June 29, 2005

My Killer Question

The cost in my life of trying to honestly live to the standard of Matthew 5:48 ("Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.") has been huge. This seems one verse that takes apart the idea of inerrant scripture. I can no longer agree that this verse is reasonable. And the problem is I have to doubt the existance of God because my faith is still too foundational no matter how hard I struggle against it. I still have a lot of work to do. C'est la vie.

1 comment:

bruced said...

A year or so ago, I would have stuggled with verses like that too. But, I've come to see things quite differently lately. In fact, EVERYTHING is different now. I take great joy and embrace verses like this one because it has taken on a whole new meaning!

What's being said here is that we became perfect in Christ, just as the Father is perfect. God is perfectly happy with us, and sent his son to prove that to us. The redemption that the cross provides places on us the perfection and righteousness of Christ. He came to reconcile us completely and totally to our Creator. He did not fail in his mission, and because of His loving act of mercy, we enjoy being "perfect" in God's eyes.

So, perfection is not something we do, or strive to attain, it is something we ARE! It was done for us!

Enjoy being brought into perfection through Christ!