Monday, June 27, 2005

Culture of unawareness

Sometimes, and far too frequently if truth be told, I can make a mistake due to a generalised lack of awareness. I am working on affirmations and releases for myself to work on this and it's kinda fun moving on. The greater my awareness the more alive I feel.

Sometimes I wonder though if it's just me or if Christianity encourages a culture of unawareness. It feels like preachers demand of the flock to kiss their brains goodbye in order to subsribe to a particular interpretation of the Story. Personally I believe that the Story can allow several life strategies and if the church oversubscribes to one then it is in danger of being like the empereor who's doesn't have the new clothes.

Of course this could be me projecting my own frustration at my own lack of awareness onto the church but I'm sure that isn't the whole of it. I'll be dialoging with friend over the next while to get some more perspective. In the meantime perplexed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think most strands of Christianity are prime examples of exhibiting cultures of unawareness. I think the same dynamic can be found in, for instance, consumerism or nationalism. Consumerism says you "need" this stuff to be acceptable and here's how to obtain it. Nationalism dictates where your loyalty lies without understanding of alternatives. In both cases, there is a relatively blind acceptance of a definition of reality for the sake of someone's gain or power. Could a culture of unawareness be a virus which infects lots of ideologies, religious or nonreligious?

DangerMouse said...

My friend I am wondering if it goes even deeper than that. Maybe an ideology is the very consequence of a lack of awareness - to compensate for the disconnection of our minds with our true selves. Bouncing back atcha... DM

Anonymous said...

Interesting... I see what you mean by saying that an ideology may be a byproduct of unawareness--perhaps a constructed enclave of safety. But I see it as a mechanism to protect ourselves from the outside world, not necessary from the disconnection from our true selves (though I'm not certain what you mean by that).

DangerMouse said...

I go along with Jame Hollis when he says that life is divided into two parts characterised by two questions - firstly what does my environment demand of me?, secondly what does my soul demand of me?. To Christianise it consider Ps139. It's like God left his thumb print when he "knit us together in our mother's womb". The is the true self and also makes demands on us that cause us conflict.

So there are two things we want to protect ourselves from and our missing-the-mark nature would much prefer to have an easy life, hence the construction of false selves.

Also reminds me of Adam walking in the cool of the day with God.

Does that make sense?