Saturday, June 18, 2005

Deconstructing purpose

Deconstruction is prevelent. I've spent the last three or four years taking apart the whole of my soul - pretty much. People talk about it, though sometimes from the lightness of their conversation you have to wonder how deep it went.

But now I'm starting to enjoy some of its fruits. I realised the other day that I did actually have to deconstruct my whole purpose in life in order to find it. I think someone else said that didn't they? The thing that feels more ironic is that church keeps telling my what my life should be about!!! Isn't that the exact opposite that what the master said?

2 comments:

Hacksaw Duck said...

Join the deconstruction club. I think I'm one of the charter members.

It's amazing to me how many people feel beaten up by the church, the very company that is supposed to build them up.

Don't let the conformity mongers get you down. Their great numbers and cocksuredness can be intimidating. But I've found that some unthinking people hide behind the loudest voices.

A sermon that you might find encouraging is "The System of Exclusion and Denunciation Considered," by W.E. Channing in 1815. I have found it tremendously uplifting, one of the best sermons I've ever read. If you can look past the fact that Channing was a Unitarian (a turnoff for most Christians), there's a treasure trove of material there.

You can find it at http://dynamicdeism.org/library/channing.htm#_Toc94088312

Peace.

DangerMouse said...

Thx for the info. Will check it out. DM