Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Limits of Assertion

I have learnt that in relationship everything has to be able to work both ways for equality to exist. So to accept a compromise with my significant Other I have to be able to live with either side. If I demand something then I have to be able to yield to the reciprocal demand.

It has always saddened me when people attempt to control and silence each other with claims to a higher authority. My classic sensitivity has been about time, folks would say to me "You don't understand time, God isn't like you that he needs to be limited by time, he is outside time." However they do not typically accept the reciprocal. "You don't understand time, it is a concept created by the human mind and to say anyone is outside time is a contradiction".

These arguments occur all the time. It can be fun to argument-watch in a similar vein to people-watch, to spot when these occur. It can also sadden to allow that level of awareness to permeate us as we see the play of unseen forces hindering and destroying potential relationship.

Our ability to assert is limited, when we break through the limits of our assertion we really have to ask what unseen force or desire in me is causing me to break the boundaries of assertion and beat on my friend? Why is it so important to be right?

No comments: